Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Surgery Day

Today my husband had surgery on the back of his head for the removal of a sebaceous cyst which was about the size of a small, exercise handball. The surgery took an hour or so, and when he came out, he was a little shaky on his feet.
The only other surgery he has ever had in his life was a tonsillectomy as a child.
Norwegian males and doctors and hospitals/clinics are really not on speaking terms. Especially North Dakota Norwegians. There are a lot of 'jokes' about the sanity of North Dakota people because of the whiteouts in winter.
I have experienced a North Dakota whiteout. We were traveling north on 29 for our annual set-up for the Christmas show at the mall in Grand Forks. Husband was ahead of me in one vehicle, I took the follow-up behind him. I just concentrated on his tail lights and nothing else. When we got to the mall and I backed up our pickup, I had to sit in the cab for about 5 minutes because my legs simply wouldn't work.
My opinion of the people of North Dakota is that they are very smart, most of them did not join us in the foray up 29 from Fargo to Grand Forks. They were all most likely hunkered up in their cozy homes with hot chocolate, popcorn and movies.
So the North Dakota people are very hardy, stalwart people. Hard-working and very generous, and understandable when a born and bred Minnesotan will brave their wondrous world of snow.
I remember the first time I rode with my husband through his native state. We were zipping westward on 90 and I was doing something and not paying attention to the landscape. All of a sudden, Bobby slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road. I looked at him questioningly, and he said "Look out your window."
What I saw absolutely took my breath away.
There was a North Dakota flax field in bloom.
There is no more beautiful sight on this God's green earth than the flax field in bloom. It is an incredible periwinkle blue and it went on forever, as far as the eye could see. I really cannot say that I have ever seen such a beautiful sight, ever. I am sure that there are pictures, but nothing compares with the sight first-hand.
But back to the surgery. His sister was there and did the major part of the hand holding while he was having it done. I was out in the waiting room with my Father-in-law.

He came, ostensibly, to keep me company, but I think it was more for him. He NEEDED to be there. He loves my husband very much. There were tears in his eyes, along with genuine love. You can't get much better than that. Sheila called on Sunday morning and said that Bobby didn't need to be at the Auction House on Sunday, but he told Sheila that he wanted and needed to sit and just talk with his Dad. And that is what he did.
We all know our parents love us, but rarely does it get shown. I saw pure love today. I am completely happy.
Husband has a slight burning where the incision is, and a slight dullness in the back of his head, but otherwise, seems to be fine.
My sister-in-law told me to drive home so he could just kick back.

Chortle, chuckle, snort, LOL.
She doesn't realize that Bobby needed to be in control again, and needed to take back possession of his life. He drove all the way home and was actually quite happy to be driving. Once I felt he was in complete control, I am afraid that I napped a bit. I had a fairly rough night and got maybe 3 hours of sleep. I was afraid I would oversleep.
Everything is fine.
Love your spouses, that is THE number one rule in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment