Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sister Dee's 15 Minute Tex-Mex Rice Casserole

15 Minute Tex-Mex Rice Casserole
(Many grateful 'thanks' to my sister Dee for sharing this marvelous recipe)
2 c cooked brown rice

[I used one pkg Uncle Ben's 8.8 oz package of microwavable brown rice, marvelous stuff that package--just right for two people. Otherwise I make rice in my rice cooker for 15!]
1 1/2 c tomato salsa
[I used one-10 ounce 283 gr can of the RoTel '
Medium' variety w/diced tomatoes and green chilis, and they are NOT the hot chilis]
1 tsp chili powder
15 oz can black beans not drained

[I would drain the can if using just the one package of rice]
7 oz can or 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn

[I used 1 cup of canned corn]
2 oz reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, sliced 1/4 in thick
(Dee uses the shredded kind in the
bag)

Optional: 2 Tbsp chopped black or green olives

[Put these under the cheese. I used black olives and could have used green also since I saved on the sodium with the RoTel, and next time I will add about 1/2 to 1c of diced onions for more flavour and crunch]

Combine first 5 ingredients. Spoon into a 6" x 6" shallow casserole. Top with sliced cheese, then olives. Microwave on high for 12 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
[I baked it at 325 for about 35-45 minutes and it was smelling soooo good! I opened the oven door and actually took a soul-satisfying whiff! Brown rice is marvelous, dahling!]
Now you have the recipe for all that posting I did. I hope you enjoy this, microwaving it is also easy, but I wanted the heat from the oven and that also mainly delayed me from hitting it with the spoon and eating it ALL before hubby got home, lol!

Serves 4
Per serving: 289 cal
4.6g fat (2g saturated)
13,7g protein
49g carb
8g fiber
1,150 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment