Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wildlife

This year is an interesting year for wildlife on this small farm.
As I looked out the front door today while on the phone, I saw a chipmunk just whizzing around under my parked truck. We seem to have a small flock of goldfinches that have flown onto the farm this week. It is sure a bright spot to see them here with their bright gold bodies flitting around the yard.
As I was watching, I saw a movement about 25' to the south of the robin's bathing puddles. I spotted a very young bunny just venturing out of the grainery. He was no longer than 7 inches as he sat on his haunches an chewing on the young, grass leaves.
Then as I got home and was pulling the key out of the ignition, I noticed a movement in the grainery window directly across from the truck parking area. There was a chipmunk just pulling an pulling some soft fiber from the corner of the window. Once he freed it, he took off back into the grainery like a shot. Of course, since he was most likely using the puffy stuff for a nest, it was most likely a she instead of a he.
I also have been noticing that we have a small flock of four crows inhabiting the trees of the farmyard. This is the first time since we moved here that we have had resident crows.
When we moved here, we used to be in the shop/barn until about 4 a.m. Working at night was better suited to the using of the kilns. It simply was cooler. In the winter, it simply made sense so the clay and glaze didn't freeze.
Anyway, one fine spring morning we had just gotten to bed and about two hours later were awakened by a raucous 'cackling' of a whole bunch of trees inhabited by crows. Noisy crows. Bobby and I looked at each other and wondered if this was going to be the pattern here. I was a city girl and he came from the north woods. He usually had song birds and fish outside his cabin window on the lake to listen to. Not raucous crows.
They left in about a week, and this is the first time that I have heard any crows within our yard since then.
I still keep sleeping hours from about 3 a.m. to 11, but lately have been getting up at 9:55 so I can listen to Father Corapi on our Catholic Relevant Radio station out of St. Cloud. The crows are still vocal. But not to the extent of a replay of the Birds movie of old.
We also have a very vocal something or other around the pump house. I have seen opossums on the road just south of our barn, and am wondering if that is what I am hearing. I like the little buggers, but, and this is a very respectful but, they have a mouth full of very sharp, little teeth. I don't think I want to tangle with any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment