Thursday, August 26, 2010

Missed the monarch's flight

Well, saw hundreds and hundreds of Monarch butterflies landing in the trees last night before the cool temp didn't allow them to fly anymore.  Set the alarm for 8:30 in hopes of hearing them fly off this morning.  8:30 was too late.  Once the sun started hitting those tree tops this morning and warming up their tiny bodies, they were off.  By the time I got out there with the binoculars, there was only one I could see on the tree top and two others flying around.  When I looked back, the one on the tree was also gone and flying around. 
I wished all of them a safe journey to Mexico. 
This hasn't happened for several years now, and wasn't sure we were still on the flyway for them.  I think I just missed the night gathering by being in the house and didn't see them each year they came. 
I still remember when they all started flying away that morning after they warmed up that first time.  It was the softest swishing sound you ever heard.....like angel's wings. 
I so wanted to hear it again, but wasn't able to.  At least I got to wish the few remaining to take off, a safe trip.  'God speed ye' little ones.  Safe journey.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - how awesome to see them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I must have done something wrong. I don't see your comment. Hopefully I can fix.

    ReplyDelete