Friday, February 6, 2009

SOUNDS

Has it ever occurred to anyone how hearing is 'different' between men and women?
The classic in my life was when a former relative was told of an 'non-before' noise in a car, and his response was "Turn Up The Radio!"
I don't know what it is between men and women on hearing noises that weren't there before.
Perhaps it is because we, as women and mothers, have to listen for the smallest, tiniest sound emanating from the smaller members of the human race in our domiciles in order to keep them safe.
Our children.
While men blithely drive or sleep on and on and on.
We can hear the slightest change in pitch of the furnace, car engine, refrigerator, ANY mechanical device.
Ask the man in your immediate relationship to identify the problem and you get the 'You have got to be kidding' look.
Or, as in the former relative, "TURN THE RADIO UP!"
But...........get them out hunting, and they can hear mouse footfalls in the woods 30 feet away.
Get them out in a male dominated area such as the Indy 500 and they can tell if an engine is the smallest micro-meter off.
I find that so funny.
Yet, they constantly put us down for that ability to say "the furnace isn't running right, would you check on it for me, please?"
Maybe we should retaliate and get that same, mirroring look on our faces when they ask us what is wrong.......Ooooh, wouldn't that be the best 'backatcha' ever?
Don't get me wrong, MOST men are deserving of our praise and trust. However, there are those few that are spoiling it for the 'gems' we have found to live with daily. Is it in how we raise our male offspring?
I tried to raise my male offspring to respect the female in his life. I don't really know if I succeeded, I hope so, his spouse is just the cutest little bug. She is so smart and loves to teach those small kids in her charge.
But.......
There are women out there that raise their male offspring to believe differently, and that any woman in his life is secondary to him.
We all have different ways to raise our children.
As to which is best, I don't know.

I do know that my Mother-in-law raised my husband beautifully. I am truly blessed to have him in my life.
My father-in-law is the most gentle man and had a lot to contribute in the raising of this man and a lot for Bobby to emulate. He does so continually.
There are a lot of things in life I don't know.
But, I am willing to learn.....and listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment