Friday, February 6, 2009

I have a new obsession

I have a new obsession.
Cinnamon graham crackers with 'Nutella'! (pronounced "new-tell-uh"),
If you haven't had Nutella, boy, are you ever missing a joy in this world.

It is when you really need chocolate and don't have any chocolate bars in those favourite hiding spots in the house, and do not want to open that bag of 'designated cookie' chocolate chips.
Plus it is spreadable! How great is that!?
I have known about Nutella for years, but was introduced to it by a young East Indian couple at the Maple Grove WalMart last year. I saw that they had it in their cart and stopped to ask about it. She told me about it and said that there was a stand in the front of the store with a dollar off coupon. She told me where it was in the store, and I went and got a jar. She met up with me a few aisles away and asked if I had gotten a coupon, and I said that I hadn't (I'm not really a coupon shopper, but will change now after getting some very good advice on how to really save money). She graciously gave me two of her coupons to use.
For those not in the know, Nutella is a hazelnut spread with skim milk and cocoa. A 13 ounce jar is made with over 50 hazelnuts per jar. You do not have to refrigerate it or microwave it to get it soft. It already is. For a 2 tbsp serving the total fat is 11g, 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 22g total carb (mind you, it is for TWO tablespoons, that's a humongous amount!), 1 gr fiber and 3 gr protein. No vitamin A, no vitamin C, but calcium is 4% and iron is 4%.
The jar said it is delicious on whole wheat, multigrain and bakery breads, bagels, English muffins, waffles, toast, croissants........add cinnamon grahams!
I am going to go to http://www.nutellausa.com/ to see what else is in there.
Got the cinnamon grahams earlier this week at Aldi's grocery (first time in there, ever, was pleased with my $10.00 shopping spree), and mentioned to Margaret that I hadn't had graham crackers in the house forever because dear hubby would sniff and snuff them out. Am re-looking at the foods I need to eat to stay healthy. Graham is back on the horizon, even though the fiber is listed as less than 1 gram, but protein is 2 gr. The numbers are interesting.
calories 130 calories from fat 25
total fat 3 gr
cholesterol 0mg
sodium 105 mg
total carbohydrates 25 gr
sugars 10g
Iron 6%
So in the general scheme of things, it isn't raw veggies, BUT, when that chocolate craving rears its ugly head, grahams and Nutella.
Thank you, Lord, for a small blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment